Wednesday, October 8, 2008

So'western Chicken'n'rice

You know how childhood meals hold a special place in your heart, but often aren't actually that good? You make them later and wonder what on earth you were thinking as a child? Southwestern Chicken and Rice is not one of those meals. My mom used to make huge batches of this which we'd gobble down (my brother would fill an entire dinner plate just with swc&r and shovel it down his gullet, which became a tradition that my younger brother tried to emulate. I don't recall whether this attempt was successful). If we had enough leftover, I would subsist on swc&r and swc&r alone for days on end. Ahh, bliss.

Ever since my sister and I started our dinner group, we've been longing to make it again. We had to know if the greatness was just in our child heads. Today we discovered that it was not.

Southwestern Chicken and Rice
4 boneless, skinless Chicken breasts, cut in chunks
2 cups water
1 cup salsa
1 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix
2 cups uncooked Minute rice
1 cup black beans, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Bring chicken, water, salsa, and taco seasoning mix to boil. Stir in rice and beans. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream (or not).

The sour cream is totally bogus. Never have we eaten this with sour cream. I suspect it's just for looks because the image of this mess in your pot will not be appearing in any cooking mags anytime soon.

Oooh, and totally easy, by the way. It only took me 15 minutes or so. No wonder Mom fed us this so much.

No comments: