Friday, February 7, 2014

The Tale of Lady Thi Kinh

This is complete overkill, but I'm running with it. In addition to posting this on facebook and sending out an email to everyone that I'm related to, I thought I'd let my loyal blog followers know that Adam is performing in a World Premiere tonight. The opera is entitled "The Tale of Lady Thi Kinh" and is a brand new opera written by a professor at IU named P. Q. Phan. It's based on a Vietnamese folktale, but is mostly in English. I've heard very good things about it, including that the music is beautiful and the costumes are spectacular. Adam plays the part of a Buddhist monk, the head of the temple (and yes, they did shave his head for this role). He is on stage some in the first act, but the bulk of his singing comes in the second half. Overall, the opera's probably not more than 2 and a half hours.

You can watch it online through the IU Jacobs School of Music site here:
http://music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/
It will start at 8pm EST.

*Image from IU Opera and Ballet School's facebook page. Pictured singers are not from Adam's cast, so will not be performing tonight.

3 comments:

Mom Walton said...

Adam did great! The lead female role had a very pretty voice also. Wish I could have been there in person, but we set up our computer (the one Adam built) in the livingroom and Dad, Gran and I watched. So proud of Adam. Love you all

Unknown said...

I can't even tell you how sad I am that I missed this.

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome!