Monday, November 29, 2010

Why I am not organized neatly

Have you seen the blog "Things organized neatly"? I can't help but laugh when I go on there. Yes, thing placed just so look nice and are pretty, but the only thing that comes to my mind is how much havoc Lydia would wreak (and how much fun she would have) if she encountered these collections.

She's my little Godzilla, leaving destruction in her wake everywhere she goes. Folding laundry is the most obvious example, but emptying the dishwasher and putting away her toys are also prime targets for her decimation. She sees piles of neatly piles clothes and laughs maniacally as she zips towards them, grabs several shirts, and flings them. So things take awhile to get done around my house. Cleaning up in the evening is the worst. I'll go to the bookcase to replace the volumes that she has spent so much time strewing about the floor. She might not notice while I'm lining those books up, but as soon as I move on to check the next tidying item off my list, she cackles on her way to put those books back where she wants them. Our CD collection gets pulled out of their slots, her toys and books are always all over, and her favorite thing to rummage in is the wastebaskets (what joy). I simply don't have enough arms or energy to keep things tidy. I cannot imagine what it will be like when (or if...) we have another.

See the little Destructomatic at her blog. Have I mentioned that I love her to pieces? It may come across like I would like a tidy house, but I'd rather have her.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

Sounds like our house! The other day Audrey kept pulling apple peel/seed/stem junk from our garbage that I had emptied in there while I made applesauce. I was glad she hadn't gotten bags I'd kept raw chicken in. But I have to keep an eye on that one.

(They are much better than a tidy house. But clean up is exhausting.)

Mom Walton said...

Anne used to destroy any organization I had. The folded laundry was her favorite. And look at her organization skills now--maybe Lydia will be very tidy when she grows up.

The hassle we are dealing with now is keeping our own messes cleaned up in case anyone stops by at anytime to see our home. That sounds like an easy chore, but I have been surprised at how many counters need to be cleaned, dishes picked up and clothes put away each morning before work.

Mom Walton said...

P.S. And don't worry about keeping everything picked up when you are visiting. If anyone wants to view our home after family comes, they can just expect more clutter and toys around. We plan to enjoy your time here and not stress about our home.