Monday, September 22, 2008

Observations on an O.C. Tanner Gift of Music Concert

1. Tabernacle Choir ladies have big hair. Really big (except Nkoyo, who looked fabulous).2. Erich Kunzel parts his hair on the side of his head. No big deal, you're thinking - so do a lot of guys. Here's the difference: You're thinking of the side of the top of the head. When I said side, I meant side. But, he seems like a really cool guy.
3. Opera singers change outfits at intermission. WHAT?
4. There was a girl sitting in front of us with one small streak of purple in her blonde curls. I wish I could pull that off.
5. When wearing heels, even a short distance is a long way (more on this later).6. The Motab has these sparkly turquoise outfits which I have never seen before. Stuck in the 80's anyone?
7. Women of all ages hold their tickets in really interesting ways when using the restroom.
8. The sound delay in the Conference center is HUGE! Clapping along must drive the musicians bonkers.
9. I witnessed the most amazing moment of "choralography" (Adam's non-flattering terminology) ever. During an entire song, the whole Motab was facing backwards and I, for one, was confused. Then they did a slow turnaround and joined in singing for the exciting finale. I nearly fell off my chair.
10. When performing a solo that will be filmed and displayed on the big screen for thousands of people, maybe it's time to replace that tux shirt your neck has grown too large for. Just a thought. Because when you just hook your bowtie over the gap where you can't button that top button, thinking it won't show...let's just say that it showed. And I nearly died laughing. No really, I enjoyed the evening, and the concert immensely. It was incredibly well-done. These are simply observations.

On a side note, Adam and I decided that we judge how famous a person is by how many times their name appears in an average shift at Classical 89. Erich Kunzel averages about 1.5. Not too shabby. I mean, he's no Sir Neville Marriner or Herbert von Karajan, but he's doing pretty well for himself.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Bonnie! You're so awesome! I never thought you were a hypocrite. :) I love the look of your blog! You have a keen and practiced eye. ;)

Teresa Stubbs said...

Of course Nkoyo looked fabulous! Someone has to!

brittney perry said...

bonnie: you are very funny. really though, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this.